15-year-old dies during rugby match in South Africa
A 15-year-old rugby player died during a rugby match in Villiersdorp on Thursday afternoon following a neck injury, Die Son reported.
Benwill Adelaar, who was a pupil at the Albert Myburgh Secondary School in Bredasdorp in the Western Cape, was reportedly injured during an under-15 match against Villiersdorp Secondary school.
Kenneth Dunsdon, principal of Albert Myburgh Secondary School confirmed the incident to Netwerk24 on Thursday evening.
- Eight Inspiring Gay Rugby Players and Personalities
- Eight of the Biggest scandals that rocked rugby
- The highest paid players at each Premiership club
- LIST: The best rugby benders of all-time
- Martin Johnson’s fights: Five of his iconic SCRAPS
“This is a sad day for all of us,” Dunston told Netwerk24. “The police have cordoned off the area and forensic tests have been carried out.”
It is not yet clear what happened.
According to Dunsdon, Benwill received treatment on the field but succumbed to his injuries.