Premiership Rugby has confirmed that London Irish’s match against Bristol Bears – scheduled for today – has been called off.
London Irish returned positive Covid-19 tests this week and a significant number of their playing squad were ruled out of the match through the contact tracing process. This meant London Irish were unable to fulfil the fixture at Ashton Gate, something that was only confirmed this morning.
A Premiership Rugby spokesperson said: “Our priority is the health and safety of everyone involved with London Irish and Bristol Bears and we will give the clubs any support they need. We wish everyone affected a full and speedy recovery.
“Neither Premiership Rugby nor the club will be naming any of the players or staff involved and we’d ask everyone to respect their privacy.”
Under the Premiership Rugby regulations, the match between London Irish and Bristol Bears will be cancelled. A Premiership Rugby panel will now be convened to determine the allocation of points and a further announcement will be made in due course.
- The five ‘hottest’ rugby players according to poll
- The Lions back-row Richard Hill would pick
- Eddie Jones names 21 uncapped players in England squad
- Clive Woodward ranks his five best England players
- Three uncapped England call-ups who are sons of rugby legends
South African newspaper name just five Lions in combined XV with Springboks
- 15. Stuart Hogg (Lions)
- 14. Makazole Mapimpi (South Africa)
- 11. Cheslin Kolbe (South Africa)
- 13. Robbie Henshaw (Lions)
- 12. Damian de Allende (South Africa)