BT Sport commentator Austin Healey and the rugby world have been reacting to a ‘blatant’ eye gouge at Kingston Park on Friday night.
Wasps winger Josh Bassett was pretty angry, insisting Mateo Carreras had made contact with his eyes – and the ugly pictures seem to support that.
Healey commented at the break: “It’s pretty clear and I don’t see how Wasps benefit from this. Play stops and if you watch what he does with his right hand now, he sneaks it in, has a little look, thinks no-ones looking, there’s no cameras, but there’s one on the other side of the field that has seen exactly what you’ve done with your middle finger. You’ve had a little scratch there.
“That is naughty, that is cheeky, that is contact with the eye, people call it gouging.
“You’re going to get a long ban for that.” He added: “He’s deliberately touched him on the eye, he might not have made contact with the eye, but there’s clear intent there.”
SOCIAL MEDIA REACTION:
- 10 rugby stars who got in drunken trouble
- Sir Clive Woodward’s radical plan to reboot rugby
- LIST: 5 epic rugby union spats on Twitter
- The 5 best players who NEVER won an England cap
- Rugby’s 5 Most Controversial Refereeing Decisions
- The 8 worst Rugby World Cup kits ever…
British & Irish Lions Most Likely Starting XV for tour opener…
- 15. Stuart Hogg (Scotland) – 1/7
- 14. Jonny May (England) – 1/10
- 11. Josh Adams (Wales) – 1/7
- 13. Jonathan Davies (Wales) – 4/7
- 12. Robbie Henshaw (Ireland) – 1/9