Retired rugby star James Haskell will make his professional mixed martial arts debut on 16 May at Wembley’s SSE Arena.
The 34-year-old will fight on the undercard of the Bellator promotion, with his opponent yet to be decided.
“Mike Tyson said it – everyone has got a plan until you get hit in the face. But for me it is a test, it’s a journey,” said the England international.
“I’m not messing around with this. There has been overwhelming support but some people think it’s a bit like a scene out of Rocky III.
“I’m dedicating my life to this. I want to make sure I am in the best possible shape and whatever happens at the end of it I am going to put as much dedication into this as I did into rugby.
“I’m deadly serious about it. I don’t want it to be the case where I get into the cage and I look like I’ve never taken a punch before, it looks like I’m just here for fun. I’m not about that.”
- 6 times Ellis Genge proved he was a legend
- 8 Rugby players who have dated celebrities
- 20 times Nigel Owens didn’t give a f**k
- Six Nations heaviest players: Top 10 ranked
- Foreign-Born Players at 2020 Six Nations
- Inspiring Female Rugby Players on Instagram
Other multi-sport rugby players
1. Sonny Bill Williams – Rugby and Boxing
A New Zealand international in rugby league, rugby union and rugby sevens, as well as an undefeated professional boxer.
2. Eric Liddell – Rugby and Athletics
He not only played rugby for Scotland, winning seven caps between 1921 and1923, he won the 400m gold medal at the 1924 Olympics in Paris. Famously refused to run in the 100m heats, which were held on Sunday due to his religious beliefs as shown in the 1981 film, Chariots of Fire.
3. Gerwyn Price – Rugby and Darts
n 2017 he was the runner-up at the UK Open, Price’s first major event final. Price has also played rugby union for Welsh Premier Division sides.[
4. Israel Dagg – Rugby and Cricket
An All Black wing/fullback who was a Black Caps prospect as a pace bowler.
5. Jarryd Hayne – Rugby and American Football
Hayne is an Australian professional rugby league player and former American football and rugby union sevens player.