Maro Itoje has had a particularly productive lockdown; trading takeaways for perfecting his barbecuing skills and Netflix binges for setting up his very own podcast, called ‘Pearl Conversations’.
He’s now spent a bit of time putting together a fearsome selection of British players with Nigerian routes.
The England lock wrote on Twitter: “It’s been a tough and rigorous process but I have come down to my final Nigerian British XV of current players.
“A good blend of experience and youth. Congratulations to all those selected.”
Here’s who made his selection:
15. Anthony Watson: Plying his trade at both full-back and wing, Anthony Watson is a well-respected member of Bath squad. The England International has made 105 appearances since signing from London Irish in 2013 and has portrayed his secure defence and elusive attacking style for his country, as well as representing the British and Irish Lions in 2017.
14. Nathan Earle: He was electric in his first season at Harlequins, scoring 11 tries in 23 appearances. On the international stage, Earle is part of Eddie Jones’ Elite Player Squad (EPS) and toured with the international side to South Africa in the summer of 2018.
11. Gabriel Ibitoye: One of the most exciting young wingers in the country, the speedster has been with Harlequins since the age of 12. The winger has been a regular in the England age group sides and was named in Eddie Jones’ wider training squad for the 2018 Six Nations.
13. Rotimi Segun: The young wideman arrived at Allianz Park from Northampton Saints and has since graduated into the senior squad. The flyer, who ran the 100m in 11.03 seconds in his school days, was key to Saracens’ success in the Premiership Rugby Cup and Premiership Shield in 2018/19 and was rewarded with a maiden league start against Exeter Chiefs towards the end of the campaign.
12. Max Ojomah: He joined the Bath academy at 14, and is son of Bath legend Steve Ojomoh who won 11 caps for England. Max credits Wales international Jamie Roberts for giving him a good understanding of the game on and off the pitch.