- When? Sunday 22 September
- Kick-off? 11:15am BST
- Where? Sapporo Dome
England and Tonga kick off their Rugby World Cup campaigns today – here’s how the two teams shape up.
1999: England 101-10 Tonga
2007: England 36-20 Tonga
- This will mark the third meeting between England and Tonga, with England having won the past two meetings (both at men’s Rugby World Cups) by a combined score of 137-30.
- England have opened each of their last six Rugby World Cup campaigns with a win; the last time they lost their opening game of the tournament was a 1991 defeat to New Zealand at Twickenham.
- England have won only two of their last five games at men’s Rugby World Cups, including a 60-3 triumph over Uruguay in their most recent fixture at the tournament.
- England have surpassed 40 points scored in a game on three occasions thus far in 2019; the last time they did so more times in a calendar year was in 2003 (7), including two instances in their triumphant 2003 Rugby World Cup campaign.