Batley player Archie Bruce has tragically passed away, barely hours after making his debut for the Bulldogs in the 46-0 defeat by Toulouse in France.
Bruce, 20, only signed with the Bulldogs recently from community club Dewsbury Moor, with Batley missing a number of players for the trip to France through injury and unavailability.
In a statement, chairman Kevin Nicholas said: “Batley Bulldogs are greatly saddened to announce the passing of their player Archie Bruce (20) who was found in his hotel bedroom early this morning having made his debut against Toulouse the previous evening.
- 9 Things to know before travelling to Japan
- Rugby World Cup 2019 jerseys GRADED
- 10 rugby stars who got in drunken trouble
- LIST: 5 epic rugby union spats on Twitter
- The 5 best players who NEVER won an England cap
- Rugby’s 5 Most Controversial Refereeing Decisions
- The 8 worst Rugby World Cup kits ever…
“Archie’s immediate family have been informed.
“Batley Bulldogs, the RFL and the RFL Benevolent Fund will be supporting the family while enquiries by the French authorities continue, with the club squad delaying their return to the UK.
“The Bruce family have requested privacy during this most difficult of times.”