The EPCR Challenge Cup Pool A fixture between RC Toulon and Newcastle Falcons at Stade Félix Mayol, scheduled for Saturday evening, has been cancelled.
Following Newcastle Falcons’ trip to Biarritz Olympique on January 14 the club has recorded nine positive Covid-19 tests.
As a result, Public Health England, who also sought external advice on the matter, have advised the club not to travel to France for Saturday’s game.
Newcastle Falcons director of rugby Dean Richards said: “It is bitterly disappointing news because we had been looking forward to this important fixture between the two unbeaten teams in our group.
“We understand it will be frustrating for those supporters who were planning to travel out to France, or who had already done so, as well as those looking forward to watching on TV.
“We have taken on board all the relevant advice from Public Health England, and unfortunately it just wasn’t possible for us to fly out to France and play the game in a safe manner.”
A Match Result Resolution Committee will be convened as soon as practicable to determine the outcome of the match.
- Transfer Round-Up: Creevy, Dombrandt, Gopperth, Marler, Zebo…
- STAYING: England and Harlequins star signs new deal
- “Drop Farrell” – Danny Cipriani’s England backline is very exciting
- Scotland prop could miss Six Nations opener after ‘debatable red’ card
- “Wholly unacceptable” – Danny Cipriani’s wife releases emotional statement