4. Brodie Retallick: The 28-year-old is back in New Zealand after his Kobe Steelers sabbatical was cut short by the COVID-enforced cancellation of the Japanese league. However, the lock has rejected an offer from Super Rugby side The Chiefs to remain a free agent. He’s reportedly having a bit of a break with his family before making his return.
5. Matt Garvey: The physical forward spent two of his six seasons as skipper at The Rec. The 32-year-old was out of contract this month, and having started just two games for the club under new director of rugby Stuart Hooper, was one of 16 players released by Bath.
6. John Barclay: Following his release by Edinburgh, the former Scotland captain is looking to continue playing but admitted he could instead wind up stacking supermarket shelves due to the freeze on player recruitment due to the coronavirus. The ex-national team captain stepped away from international rugby following last year’s World Cup in Japan.
7. David Pocock: He is another player that has not given any details about his future, and at 31, he may still have more miles in the clock. However, this was the final season of his contract with the Panasonic Wild Knights in Japan, and given the stress his body has been put under throughout his career, no one would blame the flanker for hanging up his boots early.
8. Sione Kalamafoni: His ball-carrying went down a storm at the Tigers and since his release, the 32-year-old is now being heavily linked with the Scarlets.