George Ford could miss the start of the Gallagher Premiership season for new club Sale after rupturing his achilles against Saracens in the Gallagher Premiership final.
Making his final appearance for Tigers, the number 10 was forced off the field after just 23 minutes at Twickenham.
The 29-year-old could now miss the start of next season with his new club Sale Sharks with Ford in a race against time to get fit.
It has been widely reported that Ford had a scan on Monday and will have surgery later this week.
The Mail Online reported that the fly-half has ‘damaged his right achilles’ and now faces ‘a long lay-off’.
- Major new concussion laws announced with immediate effect
- Leinster scrum-half speaks publicly about his sexuality
- The reason for Joe Marler’s England omission revealed
- Bristol Bears legend leaves the club with immediate effect
- Five quality free agents that are still without clubs
Five things you didn’t know about George Ford – including new girlfriend
#1. Rugby League connection
Ford played rugby league from age 5 at Saddleworth Rangers and Waterhead and as a young teenager played in the academies at both Wigan Warriors and Bradford Bulls.