SANZAAR is set to have a meeting in Tokyo on Friday where they’ll discuss how to get Japan into the Rugby Championship.
Head of World Rugby Brett Gosper has encouraged them to move fast to capitalise on the momentum created by the hosts’ stunning performance at the World Cup.
“Certainly if I was in their shoes I’d be very keen to have Japan in my competition sooner rather than later,” Gosper told Newshub.
- Female prop reaches Miss GB finals
- The worst England XV of all-time
- LIST: 8 Great Rugby World Cup WAGs
- 5 fastest players at Rugby World Cup
- RANKED: Foreign-Born Players at the RWC
- Brilliant nicknames of the England World Cup squad
The Brave Blossoms exciting brand of rugby displayed on the biggest stage now means the game has a captive audience in a vital market, making Japan one of the most valuable properties in World Rugby.
That would make take the national team competition to five members, alongside New Zealand, Australia, South Africa and Argentina.