Rugby fans have called for Jonny Wilkinson to be knighted after Sir Lewis Hamilton received the honour.
The seven-time Formula 1 world champion knelt before Prince Charles and was handed his knighthood on Wednesday
Hamilton’s knighthood has got people talking about what other sportspeople deserve the accolade.
And a number of rugby fans believe Wilkinson – who is already an CBE – should be the next star to receive the honour.
“All these sporting gongs. How has Jonny Wilkinson not been knighted?,” wrote one supporter.
Another added: “Jonny Wilkinson seems long overdue. He inspired thousands across the world to play rugby.”
The 2003 World Cup winner was capped 91 times for England, scoring 1,179 points in what was a sensational career playing for his country.
- Back joins fans in blasting Genge’s ‘disrespectful’ behaviour
- Sunday’s Rugby Transfers: Vunipola and Watson to swap clubs
- The five worst rugby signings of 2021 is a competitive list
- Retiring Sergio Parisse ranks his five toughest opponents
- Nigel Owens ranks the five best captains he dealt with
Fans Voted For Rugby’s All-Time Greatest XV And The Results Are Mad
- 15. Serge Blanco (France)
- 14. Jonah Lomu (New Zealand)
- 11. David Campese (Australia)
Did you know? In September 2009, Lomu took part in an amateur bodybuilding contest, finishing second in two categories
Honourable mentions: Bryan Habana (South Africa), Doug Howlett (New Zealand), Shane Williams (Wales), Jason Robinson (England), JPR Williams (Wales)
- 13. Brian O’Driscoll (Ireland)
- 12. Tim Horan (Australia)
Did you know? O’Driscoll was chosen as Player of the Tournament in the 2006, 2007 and 2009 RBS Six Nations Championships.
Honourable mentions: Jeremy Guscott (England), Will Greenwood (England), Frank Bunce (New Zealand), Phillipe Sella (France), Sonny Bill Williams (New Zealand), Brian Lima (Samoa)