Beddau RFC player Tom Owen died in the incident on Monday
Owen was electrocuted while working in Cardiff
His family and rugby club have paid heartfelt tributes
Beddau RFC player Tom Owen died in the incident on Monday after being electrocuted while working in Cardiff.
The 21-year-old died after the incident where he is thought to have been electrocuted while carrying out utility works.
A statement on the Beddau RFC website, where he had been a player all his life, said: “It is with deep sadness that the club has received the news of the tragic death of our player Tom Owen.
“It is with a heavy heart and deep regret that we have to announce the sudden passing of Tom Owen yesterday, aged just 21.
Simply a heartbroken Club!! There are no words
— Beddau RFC (@Beddaurfc) January 31, 2017
“A player and friend of this club since junior school Tom represented the club at all age levels culminating in appearances for the first team and development squad.
“Known for his wicked sense of humour and commitment to his fellow players and friends, Tom will be sorely missed.
Deep condolences to Tom Owen’s family, friends and team mates at such a sad time. https://t.co/oQFyfkZjWO
— Welsh Rugby Union 🏉 (@WelshRugbyUnion) January 31, 2017
“Tom Owen is one of us, one of our own, who was Green and Gold to the core and taken from us too early.
“There is a feeling of devastating emptiness amongst us following this tragedy and all at the club offer their deepest condolences to his parents Martin and Kim, sister Katie, and the rest of the family.
“Tom cannot be replaced.
“He is one of us.
“Rest in Peace Tom Owen.”
A statement from his family said: “We are absolutely devastated by the tragic death of our son. He is our world. We are incredibly proud of the young man that he had become and can’t imagine life without him.
“He had so much of life ahead of him which he looked forward to sharing with his friends from Beddau Rugby Club, work mates and his girlfriend Grace. He will be sorely missed by everyone that knew him.”