Eddie Jones won’t pick him for England, but the great and the good are queuing up to Sam Simmonds could be a Lion this summer.
The 26-year-old continues to be excluded from the England squad, a decision that left many pundits and supporters scratching their heads during the 2021 Six Nations.
“For me, it has been a bit crazy — people putting my name out there for the Lions,” revealed Simmonds to the Mail Online.
“It was a bit surreal when that started happening. Unfortunately, I am not playing at the highest level, so I can’t use performances at that level to put me in the hat for selection by Warren Gatland for the Lions.
“But I don’t know — stranger things have happened, I suppose. All I can do is what is in my control, which is play well for my club. If Warren Gatland sees something in my game that he likes then you never know. But, again, it comes down to one person’s opinion.
“The reason I’m not getting picked for England is Eddie’s opinion — whatever that is —but Warren Gatland’s opinion could be completely different.
“It’s not something I’ve thought about, like “You’ve got a chance here” but people like to talk about it. It might not help at all, like with England, but it’s not a bad thing that people are talking about me, I guess.”
- Sky Bet predict how the Lions will line-up
- McGeechan ranks his 5 best young players in the world
- O’Driscoll leaves Owen Farrell out of his Lions backline
- The Six Nations team of the tournament has been named
- Italy legend Sergio Parisse ranks his five toughest opponents
Youthful XV Eddie Jones could select for England’s summer Tests
- 15. Max Malins (Bristol Bears)
- 14. Paolo Odogwu (Wasps)
- 11. Ollie Thorley (Gloucester)
- 13. Joe Marchant (Harlequins)
- 12. Piers O’Conor (Bristol Bears)