Legendary South Africa skipper Victor Matfield believes question marks over Alun Wyn Jones’ influence as Lions captain are “nonsense”.
The Wales skipper was dismissed as and “overhyped plodder” who is not in the top 10 locks in the world and wouldn’t get near the Springboks squad.
“He’s a phenomenal player and an immense character,” said Matfield, who was speaking with Daniel Gallan at TheXV.rugby.
“I’ve read a lot and heard a lot of talk about how he’s too old, how he can’t contribute anymore because he’s 35, but that’s nonsense.
“I know I‘d already won a World Cup and a Lions series but I believe that I was playing my best rugby in 2011 when I was 34. I was still playing for the Boks at 37. I remember hearing how I was past it so many times.
“People kept writing me off because of my age. Age is not a problem. I watched Wales over the Six Nations and it was obvious that Alun Wyn is still a huge presence on the field.”
- Martin Johnson picks his ‘experienced’ Lions pack to beat the Boks
- Warren Gatland ranks his top five all-time Lions
- Lions predicted XV for first test vs South Africa according to the bookies
- Joe Marler picks his dream front-row
- MONSTROUS: Maro Itoje names his stunning dream rugby pack
Lions predicted XV for first test vs South Africa according to the bookies
- 1. Wyn Jones (Wales) – 5/6
- 2. Ken Owens (Wales) – 2/5
- 3. Tadhg Furlong (Ireland) – 1/5