Harlequins and England scrum half Danny Care had revealed his Gallagher Premiership club were keen on landing All Black fly-half Beauden Barrett following the 2019 Rugby World Cup.
Quins have a link with the New Zealand Rugby Union but as of yet there has been little evidence of its success.
Speaking as a pundit on the BBC’s Rugby Union Weekly podcast, he revealed he met the New Zealand world player of the year nominee on holiday in Dubai last week.
- Updated World Rankings: England move up
- Round 1: Six Nations team of the week
- 5 players who disappointed in Round 1 of the 6 Nations
- England thrash Ireland: Here’s how social media reacted…
- EVERY Six Nations Participants Highest Paid Player
He said: “He got an offer from Harlequins, he said no because he is going to go to Japan.
“He said his agent got a little sniff if he would be interested in coming over here.”
Care also revealed Harlequins are set to announce a few high profile signings in the next couple of weeks.