Warren Gatland’s dream Lions XV from his three tours as coach has been named.
The Kiwi, who was an assistant coach when the famous tourists headed to South Africa in 2009, has led the Lions on the subsequent two tours against Wallabies In 2013 and the All Blacks in 2017.
Gatland will lead them once again when they, fingers-crossed, take on the Springboks later this year.
Here’s his Lions dream team of players based on their average ratings from their test appearances across the three tours.
As you’d expect, Wales dominate his XV:
Warren Gatland‘s dream Lions XV:
15. Leigh Halfpenny (Wales): The fullback has deservedly picked up the player of the series crown in 2013. DIdn’t quite hit the same heights in 2017.
14. George North (Wales): What a tour in 2013! Sensational individual first Test try, a fireman’s lift on Israel Folau in the second while still holding the ball and series-sealing score in finale. He wasn’t so good in New Zealand, but he still does enough to make Gatland’s XV.
11. Anthony Watson (England): The England winger survived a reckless assault from Sonny Bill Williams in the second test against the All Blacks in 2017 to provide powerful attacking running. A fantastic tour for him
13. Jonathan Davies (Wales): Confessed to feeling like Public Enemy No 1 when selected ahead of Brian O’Driscoll for Test decider. But justified selection and excellent tour summed up by most starts. Was the man of the series against the All Blacks four years later.
12. Jamie Roberts (Wales): The Lions’ best player from the 2009 tour, he charged over for final try to spark wild celebrations in the series decider four years later in Sydney.