Eddie Jones has slammed ‘disrespectful’ South Africa coach Rassie Erasmus for his inappropriate public rant at referees during the 2021 Lions tour.
The Springboks boss’ hour-long critique of the match officials soured the recent series against the British and Irish Lions
“‘It should be dealt with quickly,” Jones told the BBC.
“We need to make sure that we have respect in the game because we are asking kids to be respectful to the referee.
“If they see examples of players or coaches being disrespectful to the referee it gives them an excuse to do it at their level.”
“The game is in a good place but we have to be careful and I think there are some issues in the game we need to look at very carefully and I think one of them is the diligence of the referees to referee the important part of the game well,” he added.
- Sir Ian McGeechan’s picks his dream backline
- Toby Flood confirms his sudden retirement, aged 36
- Two more England stars linked with Top 14 moves
- Five rugby players who have multiple offers to play international rugby
“Rassie made his famous video and I don’t think that is correct, but we need to make sure the referees work as a three a lot harder than they do at the moment to ensure that particularly at the breakdown we get what we need to get, which is a fair contest between contest and continuity.
“But there is an appropriate way to do it, and that is being respectful to the referee.”
PERFECT XV: Eddie Jones dream team a bit of a surprise
- 15. Anthony Watson (England)
- 14. Bryan Habana (South Africa)
- 11. Lote Tuqiri (Australia)
- 13. Stirling Mortlock (Australia)
- 12. Manu Tuilagi (England)