Newcastle Falcons winger Mateo Carreras has been cited for contact to the eye area against Wasps on Friday.
After Josh Bassett was held up over the line on the half hour by Falcons duo Tom Penny and Ben Stevenson, Carreras appeared to stick a finger in the visiting player’s eye as he lay on the turf.
Referee Anthony Woodthorpe and TMO Graham Hughes took no action but citing officer Chris Sharp took a closer look.
Austin Healey commented at the break: “It’s pretty clear and I don’t see how Wasps benefit from this. Play stops and if you watch what he does with his right hand now, he sneaks it in, has a little look, thinks no-ones looking, there’s no cameras, but there’s one on the other side of the field that has seen exactly what you’ve done with your middle finger. You’ve had a little scratch there.
“That is naughty, that is cheeky, that is contact with the eye, people call it gouging.
“You’re going to get a long ban for that.” He added: “He’s deliberately touched him on the eye, he might not have made contact with the eye, but there’s clear intent there.”
- 5 players who failed their final Lions audition in Dublin
- LIST: 5 highest paid head coaches in world rugby
- Warburton names 6 England stars in his Lions XV
- Bundee Aki red card: Centre sent off for hit on Billy Vunipola
Fans pick the England XV they want to see moving forward
- 15. Max Malins (Bristol Bears)
- 14. Anthony Watson (Bath RFC)
- 11. Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby)
- 13. Paolo Odogwu (Wasps)
- 12. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)