Sir Ian McGeechan has coached some of the biggest names in world rugby whilst carving out legendary status for the Lions.
So to make his Lions dream team from his record four spells at the coaching helm (1989, ’93, ’97 and 2009) would be feather in the cap for the chosen few.
Here is McGeechan’s dream team from his four spells as Lions coach…
- 15. Gavin Hastings (Scotland) – “He was strong under the high ball, could kick the ball a mile and was really strong in the contract, where you could play off him.”
- 14. Ieuan Evans (Wales) – “A favourite of mine who went on three Lions tours in 1989, 1993 and 1997. He was a lethal finisher.”
- 11. Tommy Bowe (Ireland) – “His influence on the games in 2009 was massive. He has speed and power, and of all the wingers I have seen he cuts the best lines and he does it so late, too,”
- 13. Jeremy Guscott (England) – “He was the runner but had the toughness too,”
- 12. Scott Gibbs (Wales) – “There are not too many backs who have total respect from the forwards, but Gibbsy was one of them. His physical work was huge.”