Exiled Montpellier No 8 Zach Mercer has been offered a World Cup lifeline after an impromptu meeting with Eddie Jones, according to the Mail Online.
Mercer recently caught Jones’ eye during an outing against Castres, after which the England head coach said: ‘I had a quick chat with Zach after the game. I am really impressed.
‘For a young player who has taken the initiative to go and develop his game in another country is absolutely outstanding. We’re hopeful that he’ll come back and try to fight for a spot in the World Cup squad.’
RUCK understands that Bristol Bears are the current favourites to sign the 2-cap England international with Harlequins and Leicester Tigers also interested.
- England Six Nations Squad 2022: Barbeary in, Underhill out
- 5 rugby stars who went to prison and where they were locked up
- Gloucester sign international back-row from London Irish
- Refereeing appointments announced for 2022 Six Nations
- England’s shock Six Nations squad selections
Five England stars you didn’t know can swap nations for 2023 Rugby World Cup
Below, we pick out five England players you didn’t know could swap nations ahead of the 2023 Rugby World Cup, either immediately or in the run-up to the tournament.
#1. Zach Mercer (England to New Zealand)
- Age: 24
- Position: Number 8
- Current number of caps: 2
- Last cap: November, 2018
- Did you know? His father is former rugby league footballer and coach Gary Mercer, who played for New Zealand and the New Zealand Māori rugby league team