England head coach Eddie Jones has backed powerful fullback Tommy Freeman to swap positions and become the long-term replacement for Manu Tuilagi.
The 21-year-old’s ability and versatility have impressed the head coach with the Mail Online reporting that the 6ft 2in and more than 16st youngster could be a long-term option at outside centre.
“Tommy played a lot of his school rugby at fly-half,” revealed Saints boss Chris Boyd.
“I think he could comfortably play anywhere in the backs apart from scrum-half. He’s a really good talent and a developing athlete.
“He’s got a massive upside. I don’t know where his ceiling is but it’s high.”
- Mike Brown handed Premiership lifeline after Newcastle release
- “Pints all around” – 5 great pubs owned by rugby stars
- SHOCK: Bristol Bears confirm coaches departure by mutual consent
- SIGNED! Saracens confirm Vincent Koch replacement
- Marler ranks his three favourite stadiums for atmosphere
Fans pick their England XV for summer tour
England tour of Australia
- Saturday 2 July – Optus Stadium, Perth Kick-off 10:55 BST
- Saturday 9 July – Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane. Kick-off: 10:55 BST
- Saturday 16 July – Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney. Kick-off: 10:55 BST
FANS ENGLAND XV:
- 15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers)
- 14. Anthony Watson (Bath)
- 11. Joe Cokanasiga (Bath)
- 13. Joe Marchant (Harlequins)
- 12. Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks)