Toulon have had a bid to sign Sale Sharks flanker Tom Curry at the end of his contract turned down, RUCK understands.
The 24-year-old has attracted plenty of interest from France and previously Sale’s Premiership rival Leicester Tigers.
Leicester boss Borthwick admires Curry, having spent time with him with England, while Toulon’s Franck Azéma wants the flaker to replace Argentina international Facundo Isa, who is expected to leave next summer.
However, both sides have put in offers of around £500k per season, whereas Sale are expected to make Curry their highest paid player on £550k.
Another club that could enter the mix is Racing 92 if Stuart Lancaster takes over.
In other news, Bordeaux have moved to take Sale’s Dan du Preez to the Top 14 next season despite him having a year left to run on his deal with the Premiership outfit.
- Summer of Love: Rugby stars who got married this summer
- STATEMENT: Jamie Roberts retires with immediate effect
- “Are any irish?” – All Blacks fans slam Ireland’s ‘foreign-born’ XV tactics
- “Tedious” – Brian Moore slams England fans for continuing to sing anthem
- England international arrested on suspicion of rape not charged
Tom Curry facts: 5 things you didn’t know
1. Rugby family
He, along with his twin brother Ben, is the son of Bishop Heber High School Head Teacher David Curry and nephew of former England hooker John Olver and cousin of Doncaster Knights fly-half Sam Olver.