Match Report - Crusaders 3-12 British & Irish Lions

Crusaders 3-12 British & Irish Lions: Owen Farrell steers tourists to massive victory

The British and Irish Lions ignited their tour of New Zealand by ruthlessly ruining the Crusaders’ perfect season with a potentially-priceless 12-3 victory.

Owen Farrell capped an inside-back masterclass with all the tourists’ points as the Lions announced their true arrival in the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Farrell, Jamie George, George Kruis and Alun Wyn Jones all nailed down their Test match places, with Conor Murray putting himself in the box seat for a start too.

Wednesday’s disheartening 22-16 defeat to the Blues left this clash as the crux of the tour – and the Lions passed every test in style.

All Blacks boss Steve Hansen and England coach Eddie Jones have both taken pops at the Lions’ predicted playing style. Against the runaway Super Rugby leaders the tourists proved once again that Gatland’s way will do just fine.

So strong are the All Black-laden Crusaders that they have won 14 from 14 Super Rugby matches. The Lions swatted that record aside.

Two Farrell penalties gave the Lions the early advantage, but the first half hung entirely on the Crusaders’ try-line fever. The hosts rejected two routine shots at goal in favour of punting to the corner.

The Television Match Official (TMO) ruled a drive to the line “inconclusive” as to whether a try had been scored.

But then the Crusaders knocked on trying to pulverise the visiting pack in driving off the line-out.

The Lions celebrated the mini-win just the way hooker George vowed they would keep doing, ahead of the clash. The tourists know full well how annoying that is to opponents, and are quite right to keep doing it.

The Lions completed the successful defence of that siege by winning a penalty at the scrum, clearing the danger to ensure they took a 9-3 lead into the break, Farrell having restored their six-point advantage with his third penalty to cancel out Richie Mo’unga’s kick.

Stuart Hogg lasted just 20 minutes after running face-first into Conor Murray’s elbow when chasing his own high ball, departing with a bloody nose and no little wounded pride.

Jonathan Davies looked sharp and tough, but was forced off for a Head Injury Assessment (HIA).

That paired Johnny Sexton at fly-half and Farrell at 12, and the pair looked immediately comfortable in harness.

Farrell shone constantly in a first half where the hosts were sloppy, but forever itching to counter from any distance.

The Lions opened the second half well, but Farrell was left mystified by the touch judges refusing to raise their flags when he blasted a penalty, so he thought, through the posts.

The goal did not stand, however, and the Lions wasted another half-chance when Ben Te’o followed a fine break with a poor pass.

George Bridge knocked on with a try begging after the Crusaders bisected the Lions’ 10-12 channel, and then the Lions won another big scrum penalty.

Liam Williams’ knock-on cost Anthony Watson a try, the Bath flyer stepping home in style only to see the score chalked off.

Watson produced another sumptuous break as the game started to fracture, with Sexton offering smart continuity – only for replacement flanker CJ Stander to spill the ball after cutting a threatening line.

The Lions hit the front foot again, with skipper Jones driving close to the line.

Tim Bateman was caught offside, though, and Farrell slotted his fourth penalty of the night.