England head coach Eddie Jones has tipped Ellis Genge to be a future leader.
The Leicester prop is the most capped player in Jones training squad that gathers at The Lensbury on Monday and with England in search of a new captain in the absence of their seasoned campaigners
“Ellis will tell you that he is from the wrong side of the tracks and we’re quite happy for him to stay on the wrong side of them,” Jones said.
“But what he will also tell you is the power of learning self-discipline and that to be a hard-running prop like he is, he needs not just to satisfy his needs, but also to know what the team needs.
“I thought the way he handled that Bristol situation was absolutely outstanding. It was his old club and he put his side in a position to win the game.
“And whether, rightly or wrongly, it was taken away from him, he handled it wonderfully.
“Can he take a formal leadership role? There’s no reason why he can’t, whether that’s in the future, or now.”
- Martin Johnson ranks his top three locks of all-time
- Seven England stars included in Eddie Jones dream team
- Jason Leonard ranks rugby’s five biggest drinkers
- Sir Clive Woodward picked his starting Lions XV
- England’s five best young players from 2015 – where are they now?
Seven England stars included in Eddie Jones dream team
- 15. Anthony Watson (England)
- 14. Bryan Habana (South Africa)
- 11. Lote Tuqiri (Australia)
- 13. Stirling Mortlock (Australia)
- 12. Manu Tuilagi (England)