Glasgow 43-6 Scarlets: Taqele Naiyaravoro bags second-half hat-trick to secure the bonus-point win for Gregor Townsend's side at Scotstoun Stadium - Ruck

Glasgow 43-6 Scarlets: Taqele Naiyaravoro bags second-half hat-trick to secure the bonus-point win for Gregor Townsend’s side at Scotstoun Stadium

  • Glasgow romped to a convincing 43-6 win against Scarlets in the European Champions Cup’s early Saturday kick-off
  • First half try from Duncan Weir give the Warriors a 10-3 lead at half-time
  • A hat-trick from Taqele Naiyaravoro plus scores from James Malcolm and Tim Swinson in the second-half secured the bonus point and the win
  • Both sides were previously winless in the competition heading into the game
  • The Scots had to win at home on Saturday to remain in the competition
Taqele Naiyaravoro scored a 17-minute hat-trick as Glasgow Warriors thrashed Scarlets 43-6 at Scotstoun Stadium, picking up a try-scoring bonus point along the way.

A tight first half brought up a solitary try through Glasgow’s James Malcolm, converted by Duncan Weir, who added a penalty on the stroke of half-time, with a Steven Shingler penalty all Scarlets could muster in response.

But the home side ripped clear in the second period. After a second Shingler penalty, Warriors romped over for four tries inside 21 minutes to put the Welsh outfit to the sword.

James Malcolm scored first, converted by Weir before Naiyaravoro bagged himself three successive tries to help clinch the bonus point.

Finn Russell hit two conversions, and Tim Swinson rounded off the scoring on the hooter, Russell with the goal which took Gregor Townsend’s men to the 43-point mark.

On a bracing afternoon in Scotland, the 6,576 fans who had braved the cold were quickly warmed by some positive play from Warriors, and they got their first try after just seven minutes as Weir trundled over after some excellent work by the home pack.

He converted his own try, and the home side were firmly on top. Naiyaravoro’s powerful running game and Weir’s astute organisation skills were handing the lacklustre Scarlets side a tough challenge.

But the visitors managed to hit back within five minutes as uncapped Welshman Shingler notched a penalty goal.

However, their hard work in defence was forced to continue as Warriors threw all they had at the Llanelli-based side’s line.

A combination of errors, luck and sheer determination kept the home side at arm’s length as Weir rounded off a low-scoring half with a penalty on 39 minutes to make it 10-3 to the home side at the break.

But Scarlets, perhaps fortunate to still be in the game, closed to within four points on 46 minutes as Shingler hammered over his second penalty of the afternoon from in front of the posts.

That only served to inspire the hosts as 21-year-old Malcolm, an academy product on his full debut for the club, rumbled over after some steely forward work on the back of a line-out.

Weir was successful with his conversion attempt and, at 17-6 up, Warriors finally began to hit their straps.

Fifty-six minutes in, Fiji-born Naiyaravoro got the first of his treble, storming down the right flank, Russell converting from out wide.

Any hopes of an unlikely comeback were all but ended when the big winger crossed for his second; this time collecting a slick crossfield kick to dot down for a potentially crucial bonus-point try, Russell improving for an unassailable lead.

And the former rugby league second rower, who stands at 6ft 4in and weighs in at almost 20 stone, was swiftly in for a memorable hat-trick as he intercepted a loose ball before showing a fine turn of pace to rush in from inside his own half.

But Glasgow weren’t finished there as the towering Swinson rammed his way over on the final hooter, Russell completing the rout with his third conversion on a stunning afternoon’s work from the Pro12 side.

Glasgow: Taqele Naiyaravoro

The one-cap Australian international was at his rip-roaring best as he picked up a quickfire, and spectacular, hat-trick. He could have had more, but the treble was a justified reward for his manful effort throughout the game.

Glasgow Warriors: 15 Stuart Hogg, 14 Taqele Naiyaravoro, 13 Alex Dunbar, 12 Peter Horne, 11 Tommy Seymour, 10 Duncan Weir, 9 Mike Blair, 8 Adam Ashe, 7 Simone Favaro, 6 Josh Strauss, 5 Jonny Gray, 4 Leone Nakarawa, 3 Sila Puafisi, 2 James Malcolm, 1 Ryan Grant.
Replacements: 16 Shalva Mamukashvili, 17 Jerry Yanuyanutawa, 18 Zander Fagerson, 19 Tim Swinson, 20 Robert Harley, 21 Grayson Hart, 22 Finn Russell, 23 Sean Lamont.

Scarlets: 15 Steff Evans, 14 Harry Robinson, 13 Regan King, 12 Gareth Owen, 11 Michael Tagicakibau, 10 Steven Shingler, 9 Gareth Davies, 8 Morgan Allen, 7 Tom Phillips, 6 Lewis Rawlins, 5 Tom Price, 4 George Earle, 3 Rhodri Jones, 2 Emyr Phillips, 1 Phil John.
Replacements: 16 Kirby Myhill, 17 Dylan Evans, 18 Samson Lee, 19 Maselino Paulino, 20 Jack Condy, 21 Rhodri Williams, 22 Aled Thomas, 23 Mike Collins.

Date: Saturday, December 12
Venue: Scotstoun Stadium
Kick-off: 13:00 GMT
Referee: Mathieu Raynal (France)
Assistant Referees: Sébastien Minery (France), Thomas Déjean (France)
TMO: Vincent Azoulay (France)


%d bloggers like this: