Scotland v England player ratings as Gregor Townsend’s men started their 2022 Six Nations with another famous win against their oldest rivals.
Uncapped Scotland scrum-half Ben White scored the only try of the first half with the hosts leading 10-6 at the break with the rest of points coming from the boots of Marcus Smith and Finn Russell.
England then looked in control through Smith’s second-half try before Luke Cowan-Dickie’s ridiculous knock on saw him sin-binned and a penalty try awarded.
Russell then struck the winning penalty to win the game late on.
It was a statement win for Townsend’s side, who have won three of the last five meetings and journey to Wales next Saturday with their Championship aspirations burnished.
Eddie Jones’ England, meanwhile, travel to Italy the following day needing a win to salvage any hopes of being contenders.
Scroll down for the Scotland v England player ratings.
SCOTLAND: 20 (10)
- Tries: White 19, Penalty 65
- Cons: Russell 18
- Pens: Russell 40,71
ENGLAND: 17 (6)
- Tries: Smith 52
- Cons: Smith 53
- Pens: Smith 17,35,47,62
RUCK’S PLAYER OF THE MATCH: Matt Fagerson
- Most carries: Sam Simmonds (England) – 10
- Most metres made: Sam Simmonds (England) – 81
- Most tackles: Tom Curry (England) – 14
- Most tackles missed: Elliot Daly (England) – 3
- Offloads: Max Malins (England) – 2
- Turnovers won: Tom Curry (England) – 2
- Turnovers conceded: Freddie Steward (England) – 2
Scotland vs England player ratings
Scotland: Stuart Hogg 8, Darcy Graham 7, Chris Harris 7, Sam Johnson 6, Duhan van der Merwe 8, Finn Russell 8, Ali Price 7; Rory Sutherland 6, George Turner 6, Zander Fagerson 7, Jonny Gray 6, Grant Gilchrist 6, Jamie Ritchie 6, Hamish Watson 6, Matt Fagerson 9
England: Freddie Steward 6, Max Malins 5, Elliot Daly 6, Henry Slade 7 , Joe Marchant 6, Marcus Smith 8, Ben Youngs 7; Ellis Genge 7, Luke Cowan-Dickie 3, Kyle Sinckler 6, Maro Itoje 7, Nick Isiekwe 6, Lewis Ludlam 6, Tom Curry (c) 7, Sam Simmonds 7
- 5 Legitimately Toughest Rugby Players Of The Professional Era
- Jonny Wilkinson ranks his three favourite stadiums for atmosphere
- Nigel Owens calls for three ‘much-needed’ law changes in 2022
- World’s greatest ever rugby XV: The best ever team in pictures
Meet the Six Nations rugby Wags including a heptathlete and youtuber
#1. JO COOPS (CONNOR MURRAY)
#2. GILL HOGG (STUART HOGG)
Hogg – who is even admired by Harry Potter author JK Rowling – married long-term partner Gill in 2016. They now have three young children – Archie, Olivia and George.
They’re both from the small town of Hawick and their parents are friends – although the Glasgow Warriors fullback has revealed he spent months asking her on a date but she would ignore his messages.