The RFU has set its sights on hosting the 2031 World Cup, new chairman Tom Ilube said Tuesday.
England last staged the global showpiece event in 2015 when their team under coach Stuart Lancaster embarrassingly crashed out at the pool stage.
“We would like to bid for that — the 2031 World Cup,” Ilube told media.
“That would be really exciting to have it here and you could imagine what it would be like and I think that really gives us a focus as well.
“So we will see what happens, it will be interesting. It is something that we are really interested in discussing and engaging with the process.”
- Transfer Round-Up: Cowan-Dickie, Kruis, Slade, Simpson…
- Highest-paid Premiership XV featuring Biggar, Hogg & Itoje
- Shawn Edwards selects incredible dream pack
- Five players who’ve ‘gone backwards’ in the last eight months
- Gallagher Premiership confirms FIVE law changes for 2021/22
Zinzan Brooke leaves Carter and McCaw out of his all-time XV
- Fullback: CHRISTIAN CULLEN (New Zealand)
- Winger: DAVID CAMPESE (Australia)
- Winger: JONAH LOMU (New Zealand)
- Centre: PHILLIPE SELLA (France)
- Centre: JOE STANLEY (New Zealand)