Lions head coach Warren Gatland is unbeaten in two consecutive Tours to Australia and New Zealand, and is only the second person to lead a third tour after Sir Ian McGeechan.
Gatland was also part of the last British & Irish Lions touring party to South Africa in 2009 as McGeechan’s forwards coach in the 2-1 series defeat to the Springboks. Should Gatland avoid defeat, he would create Lions history by becoming the first person to lead tours to Australia, New Zealand and South Africa and remain unbeaten.
Below, check out his dream XV from his time as British & Irish Lions boss.
Warren Gatland‘s dream Lions XV:
15. Leigh Halfpenny (Wales): The fullback has deservedly picked up the player of the series crown in 2013. DIdn’t quite hit the same heights in 2017.
14. George North (Wales): What a tour in 2013! Sensational individual first Test try, a fireman’s lift on Israel Folau in the second while still holding the ball and series-sealing score in finale. He wasn’t so good in New Zealand, but he still does enough to make Gatland’s XV.
11. Anthony Watson (England): The England winger survived a reckless assault from Sonny Bill Williams in the second test against the All Blacks in 2017 to provide powerful attacking running. A fantastic tour for him
13. Jonathan Davies (Wales): Confessed to feeling like Public Enemy No 1 when selected ahead of Brian O’Driscoll for Test decider. But justified selection and excellent tour summed up by most starts. Was the man of the series against the All Blacks four years later.
12. Jamie Roberts (Wales): The Lions’ best player from the 2009 tour, he charged over for final try to spark wild celebrations in the series decider four years later in Sydney.