Shaun Edwards has revealed the truth behind England’s rumoured attempts to prise him away from Wales.
The Wales defence chief, who last week announced he will return to his hometown club Wigan Warriors as head coach after next year’s Rugby World Cup, revealed he has only ever received one solid offer from the RFU.
In an interview with the Sunday Times, Edwards said that offer came before he took up the reins in Wales in 2008.
“I had one serious offer to work with England from Andy Robinson in 2006,” said Edwards.
“It was after my younger brother had been killed in a car crash. It was either a case of staying at Wasps and having something to keep me occupied day, day out, or going into international rugby where you get a lot of downtime or time to yourself.
“I asked my mum and she told me that she didn’t believe I was ready for all that time on my own.
“I respectfully turned Andy’s offer down, and that remains the only time that I have ever had a concrete offer from England.
“To be honest, I don’t believe that they have fancied much down the years. It’s as simple as that.
“They are entitled to their opinions and if they believe that John Mitchell is a better defence coach than me then good luck to them.”