Former England head coach Sir Clive Woodward has rejected claims that his 2003 side cheated during their Rugby World Cup success.
In a document, uncovered by a documentary on talkSPORT , Richards said: “The use of fake blood, cutting players, re-opening wounds, feigning injury in the front row, jabbing players with anaesthetic all occur regularly throughout the game.”
Richards’ observation noted: “Rugby World Cup 2003. England used faked blood to manage replacements.”
Woodward, writing in The Times, has refuted the claims that his 2003 heroes were involved in a similar practice.
“We won every match in Australia. Why would we want to cheat? This is simply not true.
“I am not sure why Dean raised this. I have never been involved in anything like this. It is ridiculous.”
- Wilkinson picks his choice to play 10 for England this Autumn
- 5 possible Jones replacements as England boss confirms exit
- LIST: 5 rugby players you didn’t know played for these countries
- Every Premiership Club’s Most Surprising Celebrity Fan
- Fans have ranked the five ‘hottest’ rugby players
WOODWARD’S ENGLAND XV FOR THE AUTUMN NATIONS SERIES:
15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers) – “Everybody at Leicester has been raving about Steward for a while and I would like to think England are as excited at his exceptional attacking potential as well as his towering presence under the high ball, for which he is best known.”
14. Louis Lynagh (Harlequins) – “He is a skilful player with pace and enjoyed a storming end of the season with Quins. He is a hot commodity with Australia and Italy also having a claim but I’m glad England have registered their interest after capping him at age group level and playing a big role in his development.”
11. Adam Radwan (Newcastle Falcons) -“I love his sheer pace and energy. Like Marcus Smith, Radwan must start in the upcoming autumn as he is clearly something special.”
13. Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs)
12. Manu Tuilagi (Sale Sharks)