England defence coach John Mitchell has insisted Marcus Smith has not moved ahead of Danny Cipriani in the pecking order at fly-half for England.
“Some are definitely looked at in terms of the future. We are also observing character as well and how they train as professionals.
“[Smith] is here to train. He will not be considered for selection. He has got a bright future.
- Danny Cipriani urges fans to back Marcus Smith
- Six Nations stadium PERMANENTLY reduces its capacity
- Five radical ways to improve the Six Nations
- Eight GREAT rugby players before they were bald…
- 5 Teams You Might Not Know Played In The Premiership
“I think it is important for us to realise that as much as we are dealing with the immediate that we also need to prepare for succession in the future as well.
“We have not seen Marcus for a while so it is very important to bring him in. And he will grow from being present and rubbing shoulders with Owen [Farrell] and George [Ford] as well.”