England defence coach John Mitchell has issued an update on prop Mako Vunipola, who is with the current squad in a training rehabilitation.
“Mako did that achilles niggle in November and he is still rehabbing that,” explained Mitchell, who signed a new contract with England today.
“To sum up simply, he is going good but he is probably one stage behind the return to training, he is probably at that level.
“If I look at it from a positive point of view, there are really good signs there. To be one stage from a return to training is a good sign.”
England open their Guinness Six Nations campaign this weekend at Twickenham Stadium. They will face Scotland in the Calcutta Cup on Saturday 6 February (4.45pm KO).
- Sir Clive Woodward picks England XV for Six Nations opener
- Nigel Owens ranks the five toughest players he had to referee
- England shadow squad: Who does Eddie Jones have in reserve?
- Six Nations stars who had normal jobs before becoming players
- LIST | 5 Premiership stars Eddie Jones should take a look at
They will then take on Italy at home on Saturday 13 February (2.15pm KO) before playing Wales away on Saturday 27 February (4.45pm KO).
England will return to Twickenham to face France on Saturday 13 March (4.45pm KO) before travelling to Dublin for their final game, against Ireland, on Saturday 20 March (4.45pm KO).
England’s home matches, along with Ireland v England, are live on ITV. Wales v England is live on the BBC.