Reports suggest Eddie Jones will remove Owen Farrell as captain for their first test of their three match series against the Wallabies.
The former England captain, who hasn’t played for his country since the Autumn, will not retain his captaincy with Courtney Lawes taking over.
He remains part of the teams leadership group alongside Lawes, Tom Curry and Ellis Genge.
Farrell had been Jones’ go-to man as captain since replacing Dylan Hartley in 2018, and did a brilliant job as England reached the World Cup final a year later.
Speaking to the BBC, former England wing Ugo Monye believes dropping the captaincy will only benefit the 31-yea-old.
“I want the very best of Owen Farrell, because when we get the very best of Owen Farrell he is one of the best in the world,” Monye told Rugby Union Weekly.
“If we do get a fully firing Owen Farrell with Marcus Smith, who is on fire at the moment, I am so confident about what this side can achieve not just this summer but over the next year and a half.”
England tour of Australia
- Saturday 2 July – Optus Stadium, Perth Kick-off 10:55 BST
- Saturday 9 July – Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane. Kick-off: 10:55 BST
- Saturday 16 July – Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney. Kick-off: 10:55 BST
LEAKED ENGLAND XV:
The Mail Online have leaked the probable team with Billy Vunipola and Joe Cokanasiga set to be named in the starting XV
They’ve reported that ‘Cokanasiga will start on the wing in the first Test, to earn his first cap since playing against the USA and Canada last summer.’
- 15. Freddie Steward (Leicester Tigers)
- 14. Jonny May (Gloucester)
- 11. Joe Cokanasiga (Bath)
- 13. Joe Marchant (Harlequins)
- 12. Owen Farrell (Saracens)