Lions player ratings vs South Africa, powered by Lovell Rugby.
The British and Irish Lions lost an agonisingly close series decider to South Africa as Morne Steyn’s late penalty sealed a 19-16 victory.
Handre Pollard give the tourists an early lead from the tee before Finn Russell leveled things after replacing an injured Dan Biggar.
The tourists then took the lead with Ken Owens touching down after a ferocious lineout maul with Russell adding the extras, 3-10.
Pollard slotted another penalty before the break, meaning despite his sides dominance, Warren Gatland’s men led by just four points at the break.
The South African number 10 missed two penalties after the restart but made no mistake with converting Cheslin Kolbe try to give the hosts the lead just before the hour mark.
Russell landed a long-range effort to tie things at 13-13 with 18 minutes remaining.
He and Steyn then traded kicks, before the Springbok 10 dealt the final blow to add a Lions series win to their 2019 World Cup success.
Scroll down for Lions player ratings vs South Africa.
SOUTH AFRICA: 19 (6)
- Tries: Kolbe 56
- Cons: Pollard 56
- Pens: Pollard 11,36, Steyn 66,17
BRITISH & IRISH LIONS: 16 (10)
- Tries: Owens 19
- Cons: Russell 20
- Pens: Russell 16,62,74
RAGING BULL MAN OF THE MATCH:
- Most carries: Courtney Lawes – 10
- Most metres made: Josh Adams – 43
- Most tackles: Maro Itoje – 9
- Most tackles missed: Ali Price – 2
- Defenders beaten: Duhan van de Merwe, Robbie Henshaw – 5
- Offloads: Alun Wyn Jones, Ali Price – 2
- Turnovers won: Maro Itoje – 2
- Turnovers conceded: Ali Price – 2
Lions player ratings vs South Africa:
15. Liam Williams: Criminally missed a tackle on Cheslin Kolbe in defence and failed to slip in Adams when he should have in the opening 40. 4
14. Josh Adams: Made more ground than any other Lion, proving he should have probably been in the starting team from the first test. 6.5
13. Robbie Henshaw: Had been the Lions best attacking threat in all three tests in difficult circumstances. 7
12. Bundee Aki: Was well up for the battle and carried hard all afternoon. 6.5
11. Duhan van der Merwe: Much better than last weekend, beating five defenders and doing better in the air. 6.5