Luke Cowan-Dickie has released a statement after the England hooker conceded a vital penalty try and yellow card.
The Exeter star deliberately knocked the ball into touch, preventing Scotland wing Darcy Graham getting on the end of a 66th-minute Finn Russell cross-kick.
England’s 17-10 lead was wiped out and, with Cowan-Dickie in the sin bin, Russell kicked a game-winning penalty.
He wrote on Twitter: “Just want to apologise to all you supporters for today. I let myself and you guys down. Every time I play for my country I want nothing more than to make you guys proud. Thanks for all the support. Looking forward to bouncing back next week!”
A supporter then challenged the hooker about laughing as he came off the pitch, but Cowan-Dickie had an explanation.
He said: “Laughing at the ball boy giving me abuse. Didn’t want to say anything as my head was gone. Wasn’t laughing at what I did”
- Scotland v England player ratings: 2022 Six Nations
- 4 players England must drop after Scotland loss – and who should replace them
- 5 stars who underperformed in round one of the 2022 Six Nations
- WATCH: Joe Marler throws possibly the worst line-out of all-time
- Ireland v Wales player ratings: 2022 Six Nations
- “My idol” – Maro Itoje names his rugby dream team
4 players England must drop after Scotland loss – and who should replace them
Below, we take a look at four players who we believe didn’t do enough to cement their place in Eddie Jones starting XV moving forward.
#1. Joe Marchant
Telegraph 5/10: “Stood up by Darcy Graham for Scotland’s first try and was horribly exposed by his opposite number. A defensive performance he’ll want to forget”
Replacement: Jack Nowell