Martin Johnson has revealed his dream starting XV.
Former Leicester Tigers lock Martin Johnson has revealed which of his former teammates and toughest opponent would make it into his dream team.
Johnson is a legend of the game having spent 16 years playing for Leicester Tigers. The Englishman won nine trophies at Welford Road including five Premiership titles and two Champions Cups.
The former England captain, who led his country to a World Cup triumph in 2003, won 84 caps and five Six Nation titles, while also going on three Lions tours.
Check out his incredible dream team below.
- Fullback: Serge Blanco (France) – “A great France full back who dominated games.”
- Winger: Joe Roff (Australia) – “You’d put David Campese up there but Roff is my choice. A fantastic all-round rugby player, and old-style wing.”
- Winger: Jonah Lomu (New Zealand) – “Not much difficulty in choosing one of the most awesome wings to have ever played.”
- Outside-centre: Philippe Sella (France) – “I used to watch him as a kid on TV and think he was brilliant; and then ten years later I played against him and he was still brilliant. He still looks as if he could play for France today. One of the best backs I’ve ever seen. If you hit him it was like running into concrete.”
- Inside-centre: Danie Gerber (South Africa) – “Scored a hat-trick against England in the first half in one match in the 1980s. He didn’t play many Tests because of apartheid, but he had power and pace. I don’t know if he could pass: it seemed like he never needed to. I played against him in a charity match in 1996 when he must have been well into his 40s, he was still awesome.”