Professor Allyson Pollock wants rugby tackles and scrums banned in schools as she claims it is detrimental to children’s health.
Supported by former England rugby player Maggie Alphonsi, Piers Morgan challenges her calls for the ban.
Other figures have pointed out the gapping holes in Professor Pollock’s arguments.
In a statement World Rugby have said of Prof Pollock: “The continual claims made by Pollock are not based on like-for-like injury statistics and her extreme and alarmist conclusions are simply not supported by the data.
“It is well documented that, for most sports, injury rates increase with age, but the quoted research mixes 9-12 with 18-20 age groups.”
- Leicester Tigers captain Ellis Genge lays one on Wasps star
- Alun Wyn Jones makes decision on future after getting huge offer
- 5 rugby internationals who lost a ton of weight in retirement
- Ford will only be recalled by England if rule change goes ahead
- Nigel Owens reveals what it was like to referee Austin Healey
Piers Morgan: My all-time rugby XV:
- Loosehead-prop: Os du Randt (South Africa)
- Hooker: Sean Fitzpatrick (New Zealand)
- Tighthead-prop: Graham Price (Wales)