REPORT:New Zealand 36-22 Wales

New Zealand 36-22 Wales: Warren Gatland’s side have no answer to Beauden Barrett and Aaron Smith in Wellington

  • All Blacks romp to series victory over Wales after 36-22 win in Wellington
  • Tries from Israel Dagg and Alun Wyn Jones meant the sides went into the break drawing 10-10
  • Ben Smith, Beaudan Barrett, Waisake Naholo and Ardie Savea crossed the whitewash to secure the All Blacks convincing victory in the second half
  • Liam Williams and Jonathan Davies scored late consolations for Wales
Rugby World Champions New Zealand romped to a 36-22 victory over Wales to seal the three Test series victory for the All Blacks.

Wales went ahead though Dan Biggar from the tee early on but the All Blacks stormed back to take a 10-3 lead thanks to Israel Dagg’s try and five points from the boot of fly-half Aaron Cruden. The number 10 though was replaced with a suspected neck injury just after the half-hour.

Alun Wyn Jones though, on his 101st cap, replied for Wales on the brink of the break and Biggar slotted a superb touchline conversion to level the scores 10-10, setting up a massive second half.

Wales though, exactly like last week could not cope with the All Blacks intense pressure after the restart as Ben Smith, Beauden Barett, Waisake Naholo and Ardie Savea all touched down to a secure a convincing victory for the hosts.

Liam Williams and Jonathan Davies did go over for late consolations but once again the men in red simply weren’t clinical enough with their chances throughout the 80 minutes.


It took 16 minutes for the first points, with Dan Biggar initially edging Wales in front after he took aim and slotted a penalty from just outside the 10m line.

The Welsh’s lead would last just four minutes as Israel Dagg, on his 50th cap, opened the try scoring unchallenged after a great passing move made it two on one out wide. Aaron Cruden, who only kicked 50% in last weekend’s victory, made the ideal start this time out as he slotted the conversion before knocking over a penalty soon after to open up a seven-point lead, 10-3.

However, that would be the last contribution of the All Black number 10 as he was stretchered off following a neck injury sustained in a heavy collision at the ruck. Cruden was replaced by Beauden Barrett.

It looked as if the All Blacks would hold their lead until the break but Alun Wyn Jones, on his 101st appearance for his country, dived over for a rare try seconds before the clock hit 40. Biggar then converted sensationally from the touchline, meaning the sides went into the break drawing 10-10 at Westpac Stadium

Wales started the second half well and It looked like they were going to score when Sam Warburton intercepted and burtst through, but Faletau dropped the ball and the All Blacks countered.

Replacement Barrett then broke a couple of tackles, handed off Jamie Roberts, and executed a perfectly timed pass to Ben Smith, who went over for the try on his 50th cap. Barrett then added the extras to give the All Blacks a seven-point lead with 52 minutes on the clock.

Three minutes later and the hosts, like last week, began to move clear as they swung the ball wide to Barrett, who cut inside the cover defence to dive under the poles. He then added the simple conversion to open up a convincing lead, 24-10.

The world champions added a third in the second half when Waisake Naholo went over on the hour. Skipper Kieran Read freed his hands in the tackle after breaking blind from the scrum and passed to Smith who drew the last defender to put the powerhouse winger over in the corner. Barrett dragged his conversion wide but the All Blacks had now opened up an imposing 19 point lead.

A brilliant attack from the home side then saw Ardie Savea dot down try number four of the second half after 66 minutes. A cross-field kick from Crotty sees Naholo and Kaino exchange passes down the left. Naholo broke clear and passed inside the Perenara who passed inside again to Savea who sidestepped Rhys Patchell and crossed to the delight of the home crowd. Barrett then added the simple extras, 36-10

With seven minutes remaining, Liam Williams produced his stunning sole effort following a pass from Biggar who also converted. And then Jonathan Davies scored with a powerful hand-off after centre partner Roberts had intercepted a New Zealand attack.

Ryan Crotty was denied a late try by a desperate Hallam Amos tackle which was the final play of the match.



New Zealand: 15 Israel Dagg, 14 Ben Smith, 13 Malakai Fekitoa, 12 Ryan Crotty, 11 Waisake Naholo, 10 Aaron Cruden, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Kieran Read (c), 7 Sam Cane, 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Sam Whitelock, 4 Brodie Retallick, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Dane Coles, 1 Joe Moody
Replacements: 16 Nathan Harris, 17 Wyatt Crockett, 18 Charlie Faumuina, 19 Patrick Tuipulotu, 20 Ardie Savea, 21 TJ Perenara, 22 Beauden Barrett, 23 Seta Tamanivalu

Wales: 15 Rhys Patchell, 14 Liam Williams, 13 Jonathan Davies, 12 Jamie Roberts, 11 Hallam Amos, 10 Dan Biggar, 9 Rhys Webb, 8 Taulupe Faletau, 7 Sam Warburton (c), 6 Ross Moriarty, 5 Alun Wyn Jones, 4 Luke Charteris, 3 Samson Lee, 2 Ken Owens, 1 Gethin Jenkins
Replacements: 16 Scott Baldwin, 17 Rob Evans, 18 Tomas Francis, 19 Bradley Davies, 20 Ellis Jenkins, 21 Gareth Davies, 22 Rhys Priestland, 23 Scott Williams

Date: Saturday, June 18
Venue: Westpac Stadium, Wellington
Kick-off: 19:35 local (07:35 GMT)
Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa)
Assistant Referees: Jérôme Garcès (France), Wayne Barnes (England)
TMO: George Ayoub (Australia)