The Boxing Day programme in the Gallagher Premiership is set to go ahead as scheduled despite nine clubs reporting a total of 34 positive Covid-19 results in the latest set of lateral flow and PCR tests.
A Premiership Rugby statement read: “In consultation with the Professional Game Board, this week we undertook more than 4,600 COVID-19 tests across our Gallagher Premiership Rugby clubs.
“We would like to thank the medical staff, management and players at all our clubs for their support and co-operation with our comprehensive testing programme, not just this week but across the last 12 months.
“From Friday, 17 December to Thursday 24 December inclusive there were 4,626 lateral flow and PCR tests taken by our players and management as part of the COVID-19 screening programme.
- The five hardest rugby players in history have been named
- Stuart Hogg responds to rumours he could leave Exeter Chiefs
- om Curry picks his ultimate rugby back-row
- Maro Itoje ranks his three toughest opponents
“Of those who were tested 28 players and six members of staff – from nine different clubs – tested positive.
“Our clubs will continue to test on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day ahead of the matches on Boxing Day and 27 December, but as it stands all six matches in Gallagher Premiership Rugby Round 11 go ahead as scheduled.
“Those who do test positive and their close contacts are isolated and assessed in line with the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) agreed guidelines.”
- 15 Jordie Barrett (New Zealand and Hurricanes)
- 14 Will Jordan (New Zealand and Crusaders)
- 11 Makazole Mapimpi (South Africa and Sharks)
- 13 Lukhanyo Am (South Africa and Sharks)
- 12 Samu Kerevi (Australia and Suntory Sungoliath)