We’ve decided to take a look back at the last three tours, remembering the standout stars along with the players who failed to perform.
These views and rankings are based on what a publication rated the players immediately following the tour.
2009 tour of South Africa (Bleacher Report)
- Mike Phillips (Wales): Great scrum-half. Willing to carry, line break and help out at the rucks. Scored a try. Also played at centre and acquitted himself well there too. 9.5/10
- Simon Shaw (England): Made his first ever Lions test appearance despite this being his third tour! Showed what a true Lion he was and what the shirt meant to him. Great countermauling, huge hands, great breakdown work at the ruck. 9/10
- Jamie Roberts (Wales): He always guaranteed more than a few yards with his running/carrying. Kept the Springboks on their toes constantly. 9/10
- Ronan O’Gara (Ireland): His performances against the Emerging Boks and Southern Kings were woeful. 2/10
- Alun Wyn Jones (Wales): Found out. Couldn’t compete with the bok pack. Lost the ball numerous times when carrying. Anonymous for most of the proceedings. Looked terrified at times. 4/10
- Lee Mears (England): Went AWOL in the first test, disappointing throwing. Didn’t help at the scrum. 4.5/10