RFU statement: The Harlequins versus Bath sin-bin - Ruck

RFU statement: The Harlequins versus Bath sin-bin

The RFU has released a statement after conducting a review of the contentious events that unfolded during Saturday’s Gallagher Premiership match between Harlequins and Bath at The Stoop.

Join the RUCK’s WhatsApp community here and get the latest news sent straight to your messages.

Due to a timing error by officials, Irne Herbst was permitted to return to the field prematurely after being issued a yellow card.

“I flagged it with the referee after the game,” said Bath boss van Graan after the game. “There is not a lot that he can do, on the pitch he wasn’t even aware of it.

“We went through our team manager and we made the fourth official aware. On a yellow card, you’re supposed to be off for 10 minutes, not seven.”

The RFU have now reviewed the incident and issued its response. Its statement read: “The RFU professional game match officials team (PGMOT) acknowledge and apologise for an error during the Gallagher Premiership match between Harlequins vs Bath where a yellow card sanction resulted in Irne Herbst returning to the pitch approximately three minutes too soon.

“We would like to apologise to both teams for this mistake. As is the usual process, the PGMOT will review all games to ensure continued improvement and learnings. The result of the match remains final.”

Scotland international was banned from Twickenham after scrap with England captain Owen Farrell

England fly-half Owen Farrell is never afraid of sharing an opinion or two – especially when it’s about someone he doesn’t particularly like.

#1. Ryan Wilson

The Scotland back-rower was the instigator in some tunnel argy-bargy when the players returned to the changing rooms after the warm-up back in 2018 with Farrell at the centre.

Footage of the incident shows all hell breaking loose when Farrell barged his way past a number of Scotland players to confront Wilson, who had been attempting to get inside the head of George Ford.

Wilson later revealed he was banned from Twickenham following the incident.

“I remember that game, I was actually injured and after tunnel-gate, after everything that happened in the tunnel against England, I’d lined up a corporate gig at Twickenham,” he recalled to Rugby Pass in November.

“Had it all lined up, a little bit of cash, all excited, only to get a message back saying the RFU have banned you from Twickenham Stadium after everything that happened the year before.”