The British & Irish Lions have slammed controversial former Ireland international Neil Francis over an offensive comment he made about fly-half Marcus Smith.
Speaking on the Independent.ie’s Left Wing podcast, former Ireland international Francis described late call-up Smith, who was born in the Philippines to a British father and a Filipina mother, as possessing an “Oompa Loompa tan”.
“We find the remarks offensive and have written to the Independent to express our deep dissatisfaction,” said a Lions spokesperson.
A statement from Smith’s club Harlequins read: “Harlequins is disgusted by offensive comments made by an Independent.ie columnist regarding Harlequins fly-half Marcus Smith and await a reply regarding the matter.”
- Martin Johnson Names His Five Best Locks Of All-Time
- Rugby players who underwent amazing body transformations
- Stuart Barnes leaves O’Driscoll out of his top 10 Lions of all-time
- “Arguably better” – Lions star-studded alternative XV
- Alun Wyn Jones facts: Five things you didn’t know about him
Lions star-studded alternative XV
- 15. Liam Williams (Wales)
- 14. Josh Adams (Wales)
- 11. Louis Rees-Zammit (Wales)
- 13. Chris Harris (Scotland)
- 12. Owen Farrell (England)