Barnes has taken charge of a record 111 Tests, which included officiating at five World Cups.
He showed the first-ever red card in a final to New Zealand captain Sam Cane for a high tackle as South Africa retained their title.
In his first interview since announcing his retirement, Barnes said he believed social media abuse was getting worse.
Get your tickets to the 2024 Six Nations matches at viagogo, the world’s leading ticket marketplace. Find out how by clicking here.
Worst players to referee
#5. Joe Marler (England)
Joe Marler facts:
- Marler started his career at Haywards Heath RFC in Sussex where he played in the same side as fellow England international Billy Twelvetrees
- After joining the Quins academy in 2008, the prop spent some time on loan to Esher and Worthing
- He’s been nicknamed Croissant. In his own words, it’s because: “The boys think I have a nose that looks like a French pastry.”
- Marler was captain for England at U18s level and represented the U20 squad throughout the Junior World Championship in summer 2009
- He is also one of the hosts of The Joe Marler Show podcast with Tom Fordyce