Legendary British & Irish Lions coach Jim Telfer has selected his starting Test XV to face the Springboks this summer for The Offside Line.
Telfer coached Scotland to the Grand Slam in 1984 and, as assistant to Sir Ian McGeechan, to his second Grand Slam in 1990. He also won the Five Nations in 1999 during his second spell as Scotland coach.
His success was built on not just a vast knowledge of rugby, but a towering presence and ability to deliver a punch with his words.
DID YOU KNOW? Jim Telfer worked as a chemistry teacher during the amateur era
JIM TELFER: MY LIONS XV
- 15. Stuart Hogg (Scotland) – “The Lions Test team always needs a little vision, X-factor if you like, in the ranks and that is what he brings in spades.”
- 14. Anthony Watson (England) – “He is an experienced player, I have avoided the temptation to select any ‘bolters’, always opting for experience over youthful promise throughout the team.”
- 11. Liam Williams (Wales) – “He is good in the air, obviously, but he offers a lot more than just that. Williams is a clever player and experienced.”
- 13. Garry Ringrose (Ireland) – “He is a tremendous player for Ireland and for Leinster. A safe defender with a sharp outside break.”
- 12. Robbie Henshaw (Ireland) – “He makes the game look simple by doing the basics very well and almost always doing the right thing at the right time.”