Popular referee Nigel Owens has revealed the law change that he believes would help make international rugby even more entertaining.
“The law I would like to change is the substitution law,” revealed Owens.
“I think eight subs is far too much. I think if you reduce that to five, maybe even four, and you can only use them at certain times in the game and the way substitutions are used, I think it will help reduce the size of players by a few kgs.
“You will actually see them try and find space instead of looking for the inside shoulder, to try and beat the man rather than trying to run through them.
“I think that would contribute hugely to the game, but there are a lot of things we can do as referees.”
- Sam Warburton names his Lions back-row to dominate the Springboks
- LIST: The Gallagher Premiership’s five richest owners
- Lions legend Brian O’Driscoll names his five toughest opponents
- Sean O’Brien picks six Irishmen in his Lions XV
- LIST: 5 rugby wonderkids who NEVER reached their potential
Retiring Nigel Owens selects the FIVE best players he refereed
1. Sergio Parisse (Italy)
“I’ve been fortunate to have refereed some tremendous No.8s during my career but Sergio is tops. He’s such a talented player and rarely has a bad game.”