Popular former referee Nigel Owens has told fans to stop blaming referees for ruining games following Charlie Ewels red card against Ireland.
Ewels was dismissed with just 82 seconds on the clock after clashing heads with James Ryan in an attempted tackle.
“People really need to stop questioning referees now or saying the red card spoils the game – it didn’t spoil the game at all.
“They need to start thinking players need to know you can’t go in upright making a tackle. If you get it wrong, you will get sent off, but worse than that you could injure an opponent who has to leave the field of play.
“That’s what people should be looking at and everyone should be saying ‘come on players, come on coaches, make an attempt to get these tackles down so we avoid this type of action’.
- England fans furious as Ireland score with Sinckler down with a head injury
- First England player swaps nations after being named in USA squad
- England red card: Charlie Ewels sent off after just 82 seconds
- Italy vs Scotland player ratings: 2022 Six Nations
- Luke Pearce praised for immediately halting game and ordering HIA
NIGEL OWENS: MY TOP 5 CAPTAINS
#5. Chris Robshaw (England)
Owens said: Some people will be surprised at this one to start off. His misfortune was perhaps to be leading England during a difficult time, but he always gave everything for the cause, encouraging others to follow suit, and he was a nice guy off the pitch.”