The year of the Rugby World Cup has seen All Blacks Captain Richie McCaw, England’s new head coach Eddie Jones and everyone’s favourite referee Nigel Owens feature in RUCK’s rugby union quotes of the year.
1) “I was walking around doing a lap of honour with the boys and a young fella came running out and he got smoked by the security guard, like full on tackled him. I felt sorry for the little fella.”
Sonny Bill Williams we salute you. This wasn’t the first and certainly won;t be the last time the All Black does something like this with him showing his kindness many times during 2015.
2) “Don’t swear now, you’re on telly, mun.”
Referee Nigel Owens gives World Player of the Ywar Dan Carter some advice during the World Cup final
3) “It was embarrassing. It won’t go on the mantelpiece at home.”
Joe Launchbury was not happy after receiving the man of the match award after England were knocked out of the World Cup by Australia. A string of embarrassing man of the match awards leds to organisers changing selection process for knockout stages.
4) “Maybe he was keen to get to the bathroom, who knows?”
World Rugby chief executive Brett Gosper gives his thoughts on why referee Craig Joubert ran from the field shortly after he blew the final whistle in the Rugby World Cup quarter-final between Scotland and Australia. This is my personal favourite!
5) “I sit here today with no regrets about what I’ve done over the years as a rugby player.”
All Black legend Richie McCaw after he announced his retirement.
6) “There has been no contact and I am committed to the Stormers. I woke up this morning and looked at Table Mountain … I’m very happy to be here.”
Oh Eddie why did you open your mouth. This was Jones response when asked at his unveiling as Stormers coach about rumours that England wanted him as their head coach.
7) “He’s a beautiful man. I always told him that when he was at Toulon.”
Australia utility back Matt Giteau reveals his Bromance with Argentina flanker Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe ahead of their Rugby World Cup semi-final.
8) “It’s just nice that Danny is tweeting about someone other than himself. He’s a good bloke and I enjoy his selfies a lot. He can say what he likes, he wouldn’t ever be a part of our team.”
Adam Ashley-Cooper’s witty response to Danny Cipriani’s comments that no Australia player would make the England team. We enjoy a good social media spat!
9) “There was nothing wrong with (the tackle). If you want to dive like that again, come back here in two weeks and play (when the football’s on]), not today. Watch it.”
Referee Owens tmakes his second appearance on the list as he tells off Scotland full-back Stuart Hogg for taking a dive in the Rugby World Cup match at St James park against South Africa.
10) “It is like kissing your sister.”
Springboks coach Heyneke Meyer on having to play the World Cup third-place play-off game