Premiership Rugby can confirm that Gloucester Rugby’s Gallagher Premiership Rugby Round 22 match against Worcester Warriors – scheduled for this weekend – has been called off.
Last week Gloucester Rugby returned a number of positive Covid-19 tests and had a large number of their squad isolating which led to the cancellation of their scheduled match at home to Bath Rugby.
Yesterday there was an additional positive result in their Covid-19 testing, which led to several new players going into isolation this week and club writing to Premiership Rugby to confirm they are unable to field a matchday 23 for this weekend.
A Premiership Rugby spokesperson said: “We are in consultation with Public Health England over this outbreak and while no one wants to call off any match, especially the last game of the season our priority is the health and safety of everyone involved with Gloucester Rugby and Worcester Warriors.
“We will stay in constant contact with both clubs, offer any support necessary and we wish everyone affected at Gloucester Rugby a full and speedy recovery.
“Neither Premiership Rugby nor the club will be naming any of the players or staff involved and we’d ask everyone to respect their privacy.”
- McGeechan leaves Brian O’Driscoll out of his all-time Lions backline
- Mike Brown picks his England back-three for summer tests
- Top 5 Most Undisciplined And Dirtiest Players In Rugby History
- Northampton boss responds to Dan Biggar transfer speculation
- “This is your Everest” – The 5 best Lions speeches of all-time