James Broadhurst has called time on his rugby career
The 29-year-old was badly concussed in August 2015 and hasn’t played since
All Black James Broadhurst announced his retirement from rugby on Friday, saying he had been unable to shake off the impacts of a concussion.
The 29-year-old has not played since suffering two head knocks representing Taranaki in August 2015, revealing he still suffers symptoms that affect his daily life more than 18 months later.
“I’ve been away from the game for a little over 18 months and still experience symptoms which affect my daily life,” says Broadhurst in a statement.
“Some extensive efforts have gone into getting me back to sport by medical professionals in and out of rugby. Even though it hasn’t resulted in the outcome I had hoped for, I owe each and every one of them a huge debt, as my health has improved massively and this will undoubtedly give me quality of life in the future.”
New Zealand Rugby general manager Neil Sorensen commended Broadhurst’s decision and urged other players facing a similar dilemma to follow his example.
“James has put his health first and that is the right call,” he said.